Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Unlearning the myths that bind us

As most of you know who have been reading my blog, I have a daughter. So I was SO happy to read this piece this week.  I too have a bone to pick with cartoons and just kids stories general. Most of them are AWFUL. And especially, as the author states, the older ones. I refuse to let my daughter watch any of those old timey cartoons because of the gross racism and sexism involved. 
     The author made some really wonderful progress with her students, which gives me hope that maybe we can undo all the damage done by these stereo types. When we simply point out the racism and injustices, kids are more likely than not, to see it and share observations that they found in a very articulate manner. The author also states that it is troubling to realize how much of your psyche has been manipulated by the media, but once you see it, you really can’t unsee it. Like taking blinders off. Another reason I think this class is so important is because it is training us to see those injustices and call them out, just as the author was doing with her students.  
     Another thing this author did that I loved was that she was teaching her students to go beyond the role of “keyboard warrior” and actually taking action. Don’t get me wrong, I think writing is important but, it doesn’t get as much done as strong action. 


     What children read and watch really does effect them. I always watch movies before I let my daughter watch them (she’s still young enough that if I can shield her from garbage than why not?), and I have found many of the princess films troubling. Disney really has a lot to undo in that department. Of course as a child I watched them, and it probably did change my opinion of myself as a girl. I hope to raise my daughter with as little of those stigmas as possible. Luckily, we are seeing a massive shift in the media to portray woman as equals to men. One movie my daughter likes to watch LITERALLY every day is Moana. Yes, watching the same movie every day is a tad annoying, but I love the message of Moana. It is easy to digest for children and Moana is not a princess, and has no love interest. She is a young girl who is trying to save her Island. She is never portrayed as a damsel in distress. It’s really a great movie. And Disney hired Polynesian actors and musicians to keep it culturally accurate. If they can keep making movies like this, I would be happy to take Luna to see them. Here’s a little snippet of one of the scenes in Moana. 


5 comments:

  1. I really like how you said this article is training us to read between the lines to get the full picture of the awful things happening in children's media. I also agree with you about not showing old cartoons to children in this generation because of the racism and stereotyping in them. There is absolutely no need for that today. Lastly, I LITERALLY watch Moana everyday and love it! I did not even think about this connection to the article, but it is perfect. This movie compared to the other "princess" movies is more accurate to what Disney should be aiming for. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're very intelligent for watching movies before allowing your daughter to. Filtering what she watches at a young age is very proactive and hopefully for now will keep your daughter from being exposed to the sexist Disney movies most of us grew up on as children. I love that you used Moana as an example of a modern Disney movie that shows how Disney is beginning to redeem themselves by adjusting to today's society and views. Moana is an awesome example that childrens movies can be just as good if not better without the manipulation they once included.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I applaud your approach to cartoons and not allowing your child to be influenced by older, racist and sexist cartoons. Your proactive method to how your child learns is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also agree with Tayla by watching the movies before your daughter sees them. This is amazing because when I was a kid I never thought about the impact Disney movies had on me. This will allow your daughter to be brought up with no sexist Disney movies and allow her to see all princesses of different colors and roles.

    ReplyDelete

Recinceptualizing Down Syndrome

The article I read this week was called “Citinzenship in School: Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome”. The article was a great read! I really e...